In Topics in the Qur’an, we will employ a thematic approach to studying the Qur’an. The instructor will teach primarily from Shaykh Muḥammad Taqī Miṣbāḥ Yazdī’s Maʿārif al-Qurʾān, supplementing it where appropriate with the works of other commentators.
This course focuses on cosmology, the study of the world in which we live. We will examine the following topics as the Qurʾān addresses them:
- The Sky: usage of samāʾ; number and composition of “skies”
- The Earth: usage of arḍ; number and composition of “earths”
- Creation of the skies and earth: time frame; process
- The Throne and Chair
- The Sun, Moon, & Stars
- The Earth: Geology & Geography & Meteorology: Earth; Mountains
- Roads; Wind; Lightning and Thunder
- Clouds and Precipitation; Seas and Oceans; Vegetation
- Angels: infallibility; ranks; wings; functions
- Jinn: creation; society of jinn; believers; Satan and other devils
These topics are covered in volume 2 of Maʿārif al-Qurʾān. Volume 1 covers topics related to God, most of which are covered in our courses, Islam 101 and 102. Volume 3 covers topics related to humankind, thus outlining a flow of discussion beginning with the Creator, proceeding to creation in general, and then focusing on humankind in particular. This course is ideal for those who have successfully completed the Islam 101-102 series as well as others who have a solid foundation in the Islamic belief system.
- This is a self-paced audit course with no live sessions.
- Prerecorded lectures and detailed lecture notes will be shared after enrollment.
Deadline to Register:
- Register by Sept. 5, 2023