This is a continuation of Part 1. No new enrollment in spring 2021.
Qurʾān 30/30 is a two-term course that will run through spring 2021. It is only open to women and will be capped at 50 students.
In this course, we will touch on the major themes of all 30 juzʾ of the Qurʾān in 30 class-sessions (two terms). By the end of the course, students will have read the entire Qurʾān in English, and have a general familiarity with the Qurʾān, sūrah by sūrah. As we go through the summaries of each juz’, we will also have discussions and presentations on various topics and themes that will aid in building an understanding of God’s speech. Some of these topics include, but are not limited to:
- The organization of the Qur’an: Why is it in the format it is in today? Do the order of the verses and chapters have any significance? Does this matter? Why do the topics jump around so much?
- Tawhid af’ali in the Qur’an: Why does Allah attribute evil and misguidance to himself? Does this go against free-will? How do we understand the way Allah speaks in the Qur’an?
- The Ahl al-Bayt in the Qur’an: Why doesn’t the Qur’an mention the Ahl al-Bayt by name? Wouldn’t it have been easier if it did? Which verses are speaking about the Ahl al-Bayt?
- Spiritual wayfaring: Repentance, the philosophy behind du’a, the characteristics of believers, nature and the environment, and spiritual psychology
- There is one weekly 2-hour long virtual class with the instructor to cover the week’s juz’.
- This course is only open to women.
- Students are expected to continue through the second term (spring 2021).
- Students must have a gmail account.
- Student must be at least 18 years old.
- High-speed internet connection, mic, headphones, and webcam.
- Students must be proficient in using their computer and the internet.
Dates and Timings:
- Course Dates for Part 1: Sept. 19, 2020-Jan. 23, 2021 (15 weeks; teacher will announce which days will be off)
- Course Dates for Part 1: Jan. 30, 2021-May, 2021 (15 weeks; teacher will announce which days will be off)
- Weekly live session: Saturdays 2-4pm EST (click here to convert this to your timezone).
- Please note that Islamic Literacy has a strict attendance policy as part of its effort to promote a positive learning experience. The minimum requirement for any class is that you show up! You are allowed only one unexcused absence per semester. Further absences are grounds for expulsion. Preplanned absences for work and travel must be approved by the firstname.lastname@example.org. Medical and family emergencies must be explained before or soon after to the email@example.com.
- $200 (USD) for both terms
Deadline to Register:
- Register by Sept. 4, 2020
- The Qur’an: With a Phrase-by-Phrase English Translation by Ali Quli Qara’i [any edition is fine] OR The Clear Qur’an by Talal Itani
- Class notes will be provided
- 5-color sticky note tabs
- Qur’an Reflection Journal