Ḥādīth literature is the greatest legacy of Prophet Muḥammad and his family. Yet most Muslims do not engage with aḥādīth enough. Through “Hadith Survey” we aim to increase this engagement. We will begin with al-Kāfī Book V: Belief and Unbelief. Each week, we will cover a few chapters by reading and discussing selected traditions that are emblematic of the chapters. In this way, we’ll move rapidly through a large work and increase our familiarity with its contents.
This will be a longterm survey that will continue for many semesters.
- Students must attend one weekly Zoom session with Shaykh Rizwan. In these sessions, he will introduce the chapters to be covered and share a few traditions from each.
- It is advised that students be at least 16 years old.
- Students must keep webcams on for the duration of each live session.
- There will be no homework for these sessions. However, students are encouraged to follow along with the Arabic or with translations when available.
Dates and Timings:
- Dates: Week of Sept. 10 to Week of Dec. 20, 2023 (15 Weeks)
- Weekly live session: Tuesdays 9-10pm EST (click here to convert this to your timezone).
- Though this survey is different from our regular courses, we will still enforce our attendance policy. You will be allowed only one unexcused absence per term. Further absences are grounds for expulsion. Preplanned absences for work and travel must be approved by the email@example.com. Medical and family emergencies must be explained before or soon after to the firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There is no fee for these sessions
Deadline to Register:
- Register by Sept. 5, 2023
- Al-Kāfī by Abū Jaʿfar Muḥammad ibn Yaʿqūb al-Kulaynī
- Book V can be found in volume 2 of Shaykh Sarwar’s translation of al-Kāfī (ISBN 0-9710144-3-4)