This is a facilitated and guided discussion circle designed to help young Muslims (ages 16-20) grapple with the ideas and ethics of popular culture. It calls you to think critically about movies, social media, gaming, fashion, news, social justice, gender roles, and freedom. With the help of your teacher, you will go through guided discussions designed to analyze how and if pop culture collides with Islamic teachings. In sha’ Allah, you will come out of this course better equipped to navigate the culture around you as a strong, thoughtful Muslim. This class is limited to 20 students and there is a short application that the student must complete. Enrollment will be confirmed based on the application responses.
- Assignments will include some thoughtful engagement with elements of popular culture.
- Students will attend, and participate in, a weekly live discussion on a virtual platform.
- Student must be 16-20 years old.
- Students must answer 3 questions as part of the enrollment/application process. These questions are on the “Fall 2020 Course Enrollment” google form.
- Students must have a gmail account.
- High-speed internet connection, mic, headphones, and webcam.
- Students must be proficient in using their computer and the internet.
- Student should expect to invest 1 hour per week completing assignments.
Dates and Timings:
- Course Dates: Sept. 21-Dec. 21 (There will be 12 sessions during these 14 weeks. Sister Fatemah will announce which 2 weeks will be off.)
- Holidays: Nov. 22-28
- Weekly live session: Mondays 8-9pm EST (click here to convert this to your timezone).
- Please note that Islamic Literacy has a strict attendance policy as part of its effort to promote a positive learning experience. The minimum requirement for any class is that you show up! You are allowed only one unexcused absence. Further absences are grounds for expulsion. Preplanned absences for work and travel must be approved by the firstname.lastname@example.org. Medical and family emergencies must be explained before or soon after to the email@example.com.
- $150 USD
Deadline to Register:
- Register by Sept. 4, 2020