This course will address many of the topics covered in health classes offered in public schools and help Muslim girls know what they need to about the body and its development in a way that honors Islamic values such as God-consciousness, marriage, love, and chastity. Topics will include the following:
- marriage and love as integral parts of a good Islamic life
- chastity and shame as virtues
- anatomy and physiology of puberty
- menstruation and related issues
- hygiene (cleanliness, grooming, and purity)
- do’s and don’t’s of touching, looking, dressing, and interacting
- choices that are not compatible with Islamic values (dating, masturbation, pornography, gender by choice, sexual orientation by choice)
- Students are required to attend a weekly online session.
- Students must be girls between the ages of 9 and 12 years old (exceptions may be made at the teacher’s discretion).
- High-speed internet connection, mic, and headphones.
- Students must be proficient in using their computer and the internet.
- Short assignments will be given from time to time. Student should expect to spend less than 10 minutes per week completing assignments.
Dates and Timings:
- Course Dates: Week of Jan. 30- Week of May. 22, 2022 (12 Weeks)
- Break: There will be no classes during the month of Ramadan.
- Weekly live sessions: Wednesdays 8-9pm EST (click here to convert this to your timezone).
- Please note that Islamic Literacy has a strict attendance policy as part of its effort to promote a positive learning experience. The minimum requirement for any class is that you show up! You are allowed only one unexcused absence. Further absences are grounds for expulsion.
Deadline to Register:
- Register by Jan. 28, 2022
- There is no textbook for this course.