Arabic Grammar is composed of two sub-disciplines: morphology and syntax. Simply put, morphology (ṣarf) teaches us how to build and manipulate Arabic words. Syntax (naḥw) teaches us how to build sentences with those words and how those words change as a factor of their function in a sentence. EAM will focus on the former. It will be followed by Elementary Arabic Syntax (EAS).
Note that this is a 2-semester course. The course fee of $400 covers both semesters.
- One prerecorded video by Shaykh Rizwan will be posted weekly to Youtube. Students must watch the video and complete the assignments before the weekly live session.
- Students must attend one weekly live session with the instructor in which they will practice and apply the material learned through the week’s video and check assignments. Live sessions will be conducted via Zoom.
- It is advised that students be at least 16 years old.
- Students must be able to read Arabic fluently. As an indicator, they should be able to read a page of the Qur’ān in 4 minutes or less.
- Students must be able to write in Arabic (at least at a basic level) because exercises must be completed in Arabic. You can teach yourself to write before the start of class.
- Student should expect to invest about 3 hours per week watching the video and completing homework.
Dates and Timings:
- Course Dates: Term 1 from Week of Sept. 10 to Week of Dec. 20, 2023 (15 Weeks); Term 2 from Jan. to May.
- Weekly live session: Sundays 9-10pm EST (click here to convert this to your timezone).
- Please note that Islamic Literacy has a strict attendance policy as part of its effort to promote a positive learning experience. The minimum requirement for any class is that you show up! You are allowed only one unexcused absence per term. Further absences are grounds for expulsion from this course. Preplanned absences for work and travel must be approved by the firstname.lastname@example.org. Medical and family emergencies must be explained before or soon after to the email@example.com.
- $400 (this covers both terms)
Deadline to Register:
- Register by Sept. 5, 2023
- Taṣrīf al-ʿIzzī by ʿIzz al-Dīn ʿAbd al-Wahhāb ibn Ibrāhīm al-Zanjānī (d. 655 AH)
- A PDF of the text will be provided